Pages

Total Pageviews

Friday, February 24, 2012

The Super, El Lame-O Cheater's King Cake

For our Mardi Gras party, I was in a quandary about the King Cake.
If you're uninitiated, the King Cake is a Mardi Gras tradition. It's basically a cinnamon roll recipe in cake form, decorated with icing and green, yellow and purple sanding sugar.
Since I'm an expert with the bread machine (insert sarcasm emoticon here) I thought I was home free with the evening's piece de resistance. I had a tried-and-true cinnamon roll recipe that would be perfect as a King Cake. When I assembled all the ingredients and got ready to "bake", I discovered an essential part of my bread machine was missing, and the project was kaboshed.
I have to say that there's one good thing about dessert for a Mardi Gras party. People have had a lot of drinks and good food so that by the time dessert is served, it's basically a formality.
 I figured this would be one time when I wouldn't have to give one-hundred percent - when fifty would do! The Super El Lame-O Cheater's King Cake was born.                 
I won't include detailed photos and captions ("This is a fork."  "Careful: stove gets HOT!") because MY readers know their way around a kitchen, thank you very much!
 To make the Super El Lame-O Cheater's King Cake, all you need this:

Two packages of Pillsbury Grands Cinnabon cinnamon rolls
Green, yellow and purple sanding (decorative) sugar
Tube cake pan, sprayed with a bit of Pam

Open up all the rolls in the tube and place them on their sides in a tube cake pan. Tilt them slightly - it will look cute when it's done.
Bake approximately 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove from oven. Allow to cool.
Remove cake from pan, ice with icing that came in the rolls and decorate as desired with the colored sugar.
Take all the credit.
*If you want to include little charms, as is the tradition, just stick them in the underside of the cake but please, warn your guests!*

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog today- you post made me laugh out loud! The cake looks great! Mine would be burnt all over. Thank on the heads up about the trinkets- I always wondered about that myself even though I've never actually eaten this kind of cake. I'm terrified of cracking a tooth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious! Happy Mardis Gras!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No matter how you baked it, it looks delish to me.
    Now I want to try this :)

    ReplyDelete